If, like me, you suffer from allergies, be it direct touch or airborne, then trying to sleep at night can be a living nightmare.
You know the feeling, stuffy nose, itchy skin, irritating coughing, and wheezing. It can undoubtedly mean your sleep quality is affected in the long run.
So what’s the answer? A hypoallergenic mattress, of course.
Hypoallergenic mattress toppers can make a world of difference, not only when it comes to decreasing your allergy symptoms, but they can also add a significant layer of comfort to your current mattress.
Our Top Recommendation for Hypoallergenic Mattress Toppers!
- 100% Cotton
- A soft and breathable 250 thread count.
- Baffle box stitching.
- Thick SecureStrap elastic straps.
Best Hypoallergenic Mattress Toppers for a Restful Night
As someone who has suffered from allergy-induced asthma for many years now, I thought I’d be the ideal candidate to put the best hypoallergenic mattress toppers to the test.
I put each one to the test and narrowed down a list of the ones that seemed to improve my allergy symptoms during the night.
On top of that, I also checked out other factors, such as usability, price, comfort, and customer service, to ensure I was recommending the best products possible and save you the hassle of scrawling through endless online reviews.
Basically, I’ve done all the hard work for you.
So let’s take a look at the products.
- LUCID Ultra Plush Down Fiber Mattress Topper
- SERTA Down Illusion Soft Hypoallergenic Mattress Topper
- Marriott Mattress Topper
- Lucid Bamboo Charcoal Infused Mattress Topper
- Royal Plush Mattress Topper
- Dawn College Dorm Mattress Topper
1. LUCID Ultra Plush Down Fiber Mattress Topper
I don’t know about you, but I love the feeling of real down when it comes to bed products. It’s cooling and feels like sleeping on a cloud. However, not so great for people like us who suffer from allergies.
So, this was the sole reason I first selected this topper for testing, and the result was fabulous. It felt just like down and provided me with a night of excellent, sneeze-free sleep.
The mattress topper was easy to unpack and unfold and was made with extra secure straps, which meant it stayed in position throughout the night.
The mattress felt cool due to the high-quality fabric, stitching, and symmetrical pockets, which meant the filling didn’t all fall to one end.
The topper is made from 100% cotton, making it feel cool and wash well.
|Special Feature||Down Alternative Fill|
|Item Weight||10.4 pounds|
- Lightweight – I found this extremely easy to put onto the bed without assistance due to its lightweight, which made it very maneuverable.
- Thickness – The topper added a significant layer to my current mattress and totally transformed my bed.
- Stock – I had to wait a while to order this topper, as it seems to be a hit with other customers, and sells out very fast, so keep checking back.
2. SERTA Down Illusion Soft Hypoallergenic Mattress Topper
I think for anyone struggling to sleep with allergies, this will be a life changer when it comes to slumber.
Although all of these toppers significantly reduced my allergy symptoms, this one had the added bonus of being machine washable, which meant I could eradicate even more allergens by tossing them straight into the wash.
Despite the lightweight of this topper, it was so well made; I trust you’d get many years of use out of this, even after multiple washes.
I think the machine wash factor made this extremely user-friendly and meant you could easily keep it well-maintained.
The topper added a perfect layer of plush cushioning to my mattress, which was quite firm.
This highly-valued, reputable brand offers peace of mind during and after sales and provides a warranty with its products. However, don’t forget to check this before purchasing to avoid disappointment.
|Fabric Type||100% Polyester Microfiber|
|Special Feature||Hypoallergenic, Secure Fit|
|Item Weight||7.38 pounds|
- Lightweight – This topper was so light it made it a breeze to unpack, fit and toss into the washing machine.
- Breathable – The topper has a thread count of 300, which makes it breathable. It kept me cool all night.
- Affordable – I found this to be an excellent price considering the quality.
- Very Soft – I couldn’t find any downsides to this topper other than the fact someone who prefers a firmer mattress may not find it comfortable.
3. Marriott Mattress Topper
Have you ever stayed at a hotel such as The Hilton or Marriott? In that case, you might have felt a little disheartened when you had to leave the comfort of their fabulous beds only to return to your lousy old mattress with only the sheer memory of luxury comfort to reflect on.
Well, look no further because the Marriott Mattress Topper is available to purchase so that you can experience that hotel luxury at home.
The topper is lightweight, which made the whole fitting process super easy; I didn’t need assistance getting it unpacked or onto the bed, and it made it very easy when it came to cleaning.
The feature of the expandable skirt means this mattress topper is very versatile and will fit most mattress sizes.
The sewn-through design means that you don’t have to worry about the filling of your topper shifting to one end, which can be a problem with some toppers.
|Special Feature||Wash, Quilted, Hypoallergenic|
|Item Weight||10.1 pounds|
- Machine Washable – The fact that this topper only weighs 5 lbs means it was no hassle to remove it and toss it into the washing machine.
- Comfort – Considering how thin and lightweight this topper was, I was pleasantly surprised at the level of extra comfort it added to my bed.
- Size – The expandable skirt means this will fit most mattress types, even if yours is thicker than the standard mattress.
- Thin – If you’re looking for something to add a lot more depth to your mattress, you may find this to be a little too thin.
4. Lucid Bamboo Charcoal Infused Mattress Topper
As I mentioned earlier, I have always had trouble getting too hot while sleeping. It can have me awake multiple times per night, so when doing my research, I wanted to find an ultra-cooling mattress topper, and this one certainly did the trick.
The topper is infused with bamboo charcoal, renowned for absorbing moisture, regulating temperature, and neutralizing odors.
The topper can be easily placed onto any mattress and fitted securely with straps.
Lucis is a very well-known brand in the world of sleep products, which always gives me confidence that I will receive top-notch customer service before and after the sale.
The ventilated design, paired with the bamboo charcoal elements of this topper, made it one of the most cooling toppers I’d ever tested.
|Special Feature||Hypoallergenic, Charcoal Bamboo Infused|
|Item Weight||17.2 pounds|
- Contouring – The memory foam filler of this topper perfectly contours the body, providing a perfect sleeping surface and promoting a better sleeping position.
- Cooling – The cooling properties of this topper were by far the feature that sealed the deal for me. Despite being the height of summer, I had an ultra-comfortable night’s sleep.
- Compact Design – The mattress comes very well-packed, which makes it a piece of cake to unroll and fit onto the bed.
- Compact Design – The mattress comes very well-packed, which makes it a piece of cake to unroll and fit onto the bed.
- Stock – This topper can be pretty hard to get your hands on due to popular demand. You’ll have to consistently check online for when they’re in stock.
- Smell – I must admit, this topper had a bit of an unpleasant odor. However, thankfully it didn’t last, and after airing, there was no smell at all.
5. Royal Plush Mattress Topper
I slept like an absolute dream on this mattress topper; it was like a miracle. I didn’t once wake up with any allergy symptoms, even in the height of springtime, which is when it’s usually at its worst.
This was also a down alternative. I felt very comfortable and cozy but also supported, which was an added bonus regarding my lower back pain (can you tell I’m getting older?)
The topper has four bands that hold it in place. They felt very secure, and the whole thing was effortless to set into place after airing for 48 hours.
This mattress topper felt highly luxurious, and the plush texture meant I felt hugged and supported all night, keeping my body in one position. I think I literally slept like a log.
I found the customer service excellent. I received fast responses when I sent over queries, and the returns process was very straightforward.
|Brand||Royal Hotel Bedding|
|Special Feature||100% Pure Poly-Micro Shell Cover, Hypo-allergenic, Allergy Free|
|Item Weight||4.89 pounds|
- Price – I thought the price of this topper was remarkable, considering the standard and quality.
- None-Slip – Like other mattress toppers I’ve tested in the past, the straps on this one kept it highly secure. It felt like part of my bed.
- Soft – This is perfect for anyone who enjoys a softer sleeping surface. I sunk right into it like a giant hug.
- Not Water Resistant – The topper is not water resistant, so if this is what you require, a separate cover would have to be purchased elsewhere.
- Short Straps – If you have a particularly thick mattress, the straps may not fit all the way around to hold it in place.
6. Dawn College Dorm Mattress Topper
Have you ever experienced sleeping on mattresses provided by college dorms? If you haven’t, I certainly don’t recommend it, but if you’re currently in this situation, I’m here to save the day, or should I say your night, because the college dorm mattress topper will transform your sleep.
The overall usability of this was superb; of course, it needs to be compact and lightweight for transportation purposes, and this was super easy to load into the car and didn’t take up too much space when rolled.
The topper is certified by CertiPUR-US, which means it’s undergone rigorous testing for emissions, standards, and durability.
The egg crate design of this topper was great for me and really enhanced my sleeping position, keeping me supported through the night and relieving my pressure points.
|Color||Egg Crate Foam|
|Fabric Type||100% Polyurethane Foam|
|Special Feature||Cooling, Hypoallergenic|
|Spot clean; soap and water|
- Cooling – As someone who’s usually overheated when I’m asleep, I found this mattress topper excellent for keeping my temperature regulated.
- Easy to Fit – The topper was packed nicely into a compact box. Unraveling and expanding to its full shape within hours was a breeze.
- Reasonable Price – I was surprised at how low the price was for this topper. I thought the quality exceeded the low cost.
- Stability – I did have a bit of a niggle with this topper as it seemed to move around a little during the night, despite being adequately fitted to the mattress.
How I Selected The Best Hypoallergenic Mattress Toppers?
While reviewing the best mattress toppers for allergies, there were many factors I had to examine to ensure you’re investing in quality.
It’s all very well and good finding a mattress that diminishes your allergy symptoms, but you also need to know that your money is going far, and you’re getting the most of your topper as possible. I firmly believe that each topper I tested would stand the test of time.
2. Value for Money
I wanted to ensure I was offering the perfect balance of quality and value for money. I think all of these toppers are well worth the price to get you the best night’s sleep for the best price.
I also examined the material used in each topper. While some might prefer a molding memory foam, others are more comfortable with a plush pillow top feel, so I tried to include various products in this department.
Frequently Asked Questions
Let’s look at what people are asking about hypoallergenic mattress toppers.
Are Hypoallergenic Mattress Toppers More Expensive than Standard Toppers?
No. Generally, you can purchase high-quality hypoallergenic mattress toppers for a similar and sometimes lower price than standard mattress toppers.
What Makes A Mattress Topper Hypoallergenic?
Hypoallergenic mattress toppers are specifically designed to create a barrier between any allergens that might be hiding within the fibers of your bed, such as pollen, dust mites, and pet dander.
How Do I Choose The Best Hypoallergenic Mattress Topper for Me?
There are a few things to consider here, primarily down to personal preference. You should look at the material, density, and firmness. Also, be sure that you’re purchasing from a reputable company.
So, when it comes to choosing a hypoallergenic mattress topper, as you can see, there are many great options available, and lucky for you, I’ve put some of the best ones of 2023, all in one handy place.
To ensure you’re on your way to an allergy-free sleep, looking into all aspects of the topper is essential. Choose something that will fit perfectly into your sleep environment and make you feel comfortable for the best night’s sleep possible.
I also advise that you check the manufacturer’s warranty before investing in a hypoallergenic mattress topper so that you can have peace of mind and return the topper if you’re unhappy.