It took me years to embrace the fact that air mattresses don’t last forever.
Seams get loose, air vents start to leak, or you accidentally drop a sharp object that punctures the air mattress. Instead of looking for the reason my air mattress is losing air, I focus on finding a solution and stopping the leak, if possible.
I carry a patch repair kit for air mattresses whenever I go camping with my family because I can never know when an accident might happen.
Having a patch repair kit buys me peace of mind as my family and I won’t have to look for an alternative sleeping solution if our air mattress suddenly starts leaking air.
These kits aren’t only handy in emergencies since they can help you repair air mattresses designed primarily for indoor use, too.
I shortlisted some of the best patches for air mattresses I have ever used so that you can find a kit you can rely on if your air mattress starts leaking unexpectedly.
Our Top Recommendation for Air Mattress Patches!
- Professional Repair
- Wide Applications
- Easy To Use
- 1OO% satisfaction
Some of the Best Patches for Air Mattresses
I had to learn the hard way that getting a puncture-resistant air mattress that stays inflated for more than 24 hours, even under pressure, isn’t a guarantee that my child or our dog won’t find a way to puncture it.
A patch repair kit is my first line of defense against the accidental damage my pets or children might inflict on our air mattress. I tested dozens of patches over the years, which is why it’s hard for me to judge one over the other, as most will do the job well.
However, here are some I’ve used previously that have worked exceptionally well:
- WELLGO 7ft Patch Repair Kit
- Sumergio Air Mattress Patch Kit
- Pool Above Vinyl Repair Patch Kit
- Paistley Air Mattress Patch Kit
- PVC Stitch Heavy Duty Repair Kit
1. WELLGO 7ft Patch Repair Kit
Fixing an air leak on a mattress with the WELLGO Patch Repair Kit is as easy as putting a sticker on a car bumper. The 7ft patch roll is more than three inches wide, so it’s equally efficient for covering large puncture holes and barely visible cracks.
You can create up to thirty 2-inch long patches from the roll, so opting for this kit will ensure you’ll have a way to stop an air mattress leak for a long time.
All you need to do to apply the patch to an air mattress is to cut a piece of the tape, clean the area around the puncture, and stick the patch to the damaged area. My biggest challenge when using WELLGO’s patch repair kit was matching the tape’s color to my air mattress’s color.
Range of Applications
You can use this kit to fix a broad range of inflatable toys, like swimming rings or inflatable pools. Moreover, the patch can help you repair a tent, a ski suit, or a raincoat.
The adhesive forms a strong bond with plastic, nylon, and lather, enabling you to use the kit to repair different types of equipment, accessories, or clothing items.
Strength and Durability
The reason WELLGO’s patch repair kit is a standard part of my camping equipment is that its roll’s strong adhesive forms a strong bond with the PVC, rubber, and other materials in just twelve hours.
I also like that the TPU patch roll is water-resistant, so I don’t have to worry if it will remain firmly attached to underwater sections of inflatable pools, preventing any further leaks for a long time.
Moreover, you can use the WELLGO patch kit to repair tents, camping gear, inflatable toys, and various other items.
|Item Weight||3.52 ounces|
|Product Dimensions||2.17 x 2.17 x 3.15 inches|
|Included Components||Repair Patch|
- Straightforward patch application – I had no problems cutting the roll and applying the patch to the damaged area. I found the process effortless, as it took me only a few moments to stop the air leak.
- The kit helps you repair the air mattress in 12 hours – I think this kit is ideal for avid campers because the adhesive dries in less than a day, so you’ll be able to use the mattress the same day you fix it.
- Impressive water-resistance level – I consider the WELLGO’s kit one of the air mattress patches because it doesn’t deteriorate quickly, even if it is frequently exposed to humidity or water.
- A long-term fix for air leaks – I love using this kit because it offers a lasting solution for damaged camping gear and inflatables.
- The lack of color options – I found it difficult to match the patch’s color with my air mattress’s design.
- Your air mattress might start to leak after you repair it if you put too much pressure on it – I advise caution when using it for the first time after repairing it because the tape may not be able to prevent the leak under high pressure.
2. Sumergio Air Mattress Patch Kit
I carry the Sumergio Air Mattress Patch Kit in my toolbox because it’s efficient and affordable. The roll is four inches wide, so I never had any trouble covering large tears or holes with it.
Also, I found it remarkably easy to cut the patch into different sizes, and I loved using it to cover smaller holes or cracks.
I prefer the roll’s 10-foot version, but you can also get a 7-foot-long variant of the roll. In my opinion, getting the kit’s longer patch roll is a more budget-friendly option, and it could be beneficial if you plan to use it for more than just fixing an air mattress.
It exceeded my expectations during the testing phase. I had no problems cutting it to the dimensions of the hole I wanted to cover, and I was impressed by the fact that the material didn’t stretch when I inflated and deflated the mattress.
Properties of the Patch Material
I like the fact that it has a powerful adhesive that bonds to the PVC and other materials within 12 to 24 hours.
The durable TPU material ensured that the patch prevented the air from escaping when I put pressure on the mattress that exceeded its weight limit.
In my eyes, the kit’s flexibility is one of its biggest advantages, as I felt comfortable using it to fix a hole in a tent or cover a tiny crack in an air mattress. I don’t think you need previous experience with patches for air mattresses to cut the roll and apply it to different surfaces.
|Item Weight||3.84 ounces|
|Product Dimensions||84 x 0.1 x 4 inches|
- Fixing my air mattress with this kit took me less than a minute – The peel-and-stick application method allowed me to repair the air mattress quickly. I also use it to fix inflatable toys when my kids puncture them.
- I love how quickly the patch works – The tape bonded to the material within 4 to 12 hours after I applied it. The patch saved my camping trip because I didn’t have to look for an alternative sleeping option.
- I had no issues keeping the patch in place – The patch didn’t get loose after I inflated and deflated it consecutively a few times, and it remains in place whenever my partner and I sleep on it.
- Buying this patch didn’t strain my family’s monthly budget – I think that the kit offers excellent value for its price.
- I couldn’t use it to fix holes in suede and velvet – I don’t recommend using this kit to patch holes on an air mattress’s flocked surface because the adhesive cannot bond with velvet or suede.
- You couldn’t apply the patch on an uneven surface – During the testing phase, I discovered that the patch is only effective when applied to an even surface.
3. Pool Above Vinyl Repair Patch Kit
I always try to conceal an air mattress patch as much as possible so it doesn’t draw too much attention. The Pool Above Vinyl Repair Patch Kit made this task effortless because I could simply select the patch color that matched my air mattress.
Aside from eight circular and two rectangular vinyl patches, I also got a tube of a powerful vinyl adhesive that keeps the patch firmly in place with this kit.
The kit is primarily designed for inflatable pools, but despite this, I frequently use it to stop air leaks on inflatable toys and air mattresses or even to repair vinyl seats.
In my experience, the glue works best when I give it at least 24 hours to dry and bond with the material. So, I suggest postponing testing an air mattress for a few days after you glue a patch to it.
The vinyl glue dries slowly, and I strongly recommend putting a heavy object over the patch to ensure a strong bond. The adhesive will keep the patch firmly in place once it’s dry and stop the air leak.
The kit includes eight polyester patches with airproof and waterproof colored plastic on either side. These patches have helped me restore an air mattress’s firmness level on numerous occasions.
I slept comfortably on my mattress after repairing it with this kit, and I didn’t notice any signs of air leaks throughout the night.
|Product Dimensions||6"L x 0.5"W x 8"H|
- I find the kit’s accessories handy – This kit comes with a glue applicator that enabled me to spread the glue evenly across the patch.
- I stopped a leak on the seams effortlessly – All I had to do to stop a leak on one of my mattress’s seams was to apply a thick layer of glue.
- High-quality base fabric – All patches in the kit have 1300 denier base fabric that prevents stretching.
- I couldn’t use the kit to cover large holes – The biggest downside of this kit I discovered while testing it was that I couldn’t use it to fix holes with diameters larger than 1/2 inches.
- I only got 1oz of glue – The 1oz glue tube was too small for me, and I ended up ordering an extra kit just to ensure I had enough glue to fix my mattress.
4. Paistley Air Mattress Patch Kit
I used the Paistley Air Mattress Patch Kit on more than one occasion, and it has never let me down. The feature I love the most is that patches are almost impossible to spot after I apply them to an air mattress.
The kit contains circular and rectangular patches that can cover a tiny scratch or a sizeable hole in your air mattress.
I don’t use this kit for quick air mattress fixes because the glue needs two days to dry and bond with the material. Even so, it’s my go-to option whenever I need a long-term solution for an air leak because the kit comes with high-quality patches and a powerful adhesive.
The kit’s patches are available in two sizes. I commonly use 1.9 x 1×9 circular patches to repair a small crack, while in my experience, a 6.6-inch long rectangular patch works best when I am trying to stop an air leak from a large hole.
In my opinion, the Paistley air mattress repair patch kit is one of the best options on the market if you’re looking for an inexpensive kit that will enable you to restore your air mattress to its original state.
|Item Weight||2.89 ounces|
- I don’t only use the material to cover holes in PVC material – The glue works with PVC, ABS, rubber, and other materials.
- The patches didn’t stretch when I tested them – I inflated and deflated the air mattress several times to see if the patch would stretch. All patches passed my test with flying colors.
- The patch material didn’t warp after I cut it – I couldn’t damage the patch while cutting it with scissors, no matter how hard I tried.
- I enjoyed chatting with the friendly customer service – The first kit I ordered arrived damaged, but returning it was hassle-free.
- I never use this patch in outdoor conditions due to the long adhesion time – I had to wait 48 hours before inflating the air mattress, which is why I don’t recommend using it to repair a mattress you take on a camping trip.
5. PVC Stitch Heavy Duty Repair Kit
I think that the PVC Stitch Heavy Duty Repair Kit can be extremely useful in emergencies. The kit includes a tube of liquid PVC that turns into a permanent patch after it dries, so I often carry it with me when I’m car-camping or hiking.
So, whenever I notice a leak on my air mattress or a hole in my equipment, all I need to do is fill it with liquid PVC, wait a few hours for the sealant to dry, and I can continue using an item as usual.
I also like this kit because it includes a reinforcing PVC mesh cord that helps seal holes larger than 2 inches in diameter.
It didn’t take me long to figure out how to apply the sealant to the damaged area. I just squeeze the liquid PVC from the tube and let it dry. Besides air mattresses, I use the kit to repair kayaks, pool liners, or water beds.
I first clean the area around the hole or scratch and let it dry to prepare it for the sealant. Then, if necessary, I place the mesh cord over it and add liquid PVC.
It took me a while to understand that I must use enough gel to patch a hole and that I shouldn’t spread the sealant after I apply it. When done, I give the sealant a few hours to work its magic before I inflate the air mattress.
Suitability for Outdoor Use
The kit is ideal for outdoor conditions because it dries quickly, even in cold and humid weather. However, I always take steps to protect the gel from dust or dirt while it is drying to ensure strong adhesion.
|Compatible Material||Pvc, Pu, Neoprene, Cordura|
|Product Dimensions||6.6 x 3.5 x 1 inches; 1.27 Ounces|
|Special Feature||Ready to use in 2 hrs|
- The liquid PVC is UV resistant – Sun exposure doesn’t affect the sealant because it’s UV-resistant. In addition, the material is water resistant, and it performs well in cold or warm conditions.
- I love this sealant because it doesn’t ruin the air mattress’s visual appearance – The sealant is transparent and difficult to notice even when used to repair large holes.
- Repairing my air mattress took only a few hours – Liquid PVC dries in two hours and reaches its full adhesion strength in 24 hours.
- The sealant is elastic – The material retains flexibility after it dries, so I failed to damage the patch by inflating or deflating my air mattress.
- I run out of the sealant quickly – My advice is to get several tubes of the sealant to ensure you have enough liquid PVC to patch a hole.
How I Selected the Best Patches for Air Mattresses?
There’s more than one way to fix a hole in an air mattress, but in my experience, patches are the most effective.
As a parent and an avid camper, I often use patches for air mattresses, so I mainly relied on my experience during the selection process.
I’ll walk you through other factors I used to decide which patches for air mattresses I’ll test and include in this article.
During the selection and testing stages, my focus was on material compatibility, water or UV resistance, and patch sizes. I relied on these kit features to determine how versatile a repair kit can be.
Adhesive’s Bond Strength
I always say that an air mattress patch is as good as its bond strength. That’s why I tested each model’s adhesion power and excluded kits that come with patches that couldn’t stick to an air mattress for long during my tests from further consideration.
Durability and Water Resistance Level
I’m well aware of how frustrating having to replace a patch on your air mattress every few weeks can be. So, all kits I mentioned in this article have water-resistant and heavy-duty patches.
My priority was to identify air mattress patch kits with excellent price-performance ratios.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I Need a Patch to Fix a Hole in My Air Mattress?
You can seal a hole in an air mattress with duct tape or super glue, but I don’t think these solutions are as effective as air mattress patches.
Can I Apply a Patch for an Air Mattress on the Flocked Surface?
Most patches for air mattresses I tested don’t have adhesives that stick to velvet or other materials used for flocked surfaces.
How Long is the Shelf Life of Patches for Air Mattresses?
These patches have long shelf lives, but I recommend replacing a kit after two years.
Where Should I Store Patches for Air Mattresses?
I always keep my patches for air mattresses at room temperature and away from sunlight.
The most challenging part of repairing a mattress for me is finding a leak since applying the patch never takes me more than a couple of minutes once I detect the source of the leak.
Fixing a hole in your air mattress should be simple, but I can’t promise you it will be fun, whether you choose a kit with a patch roll or opt to patch a mattress with liquid PVC.
I must remind you that giving the adhesive enough time to dry and bond to the material is paramount before inflating the mattress and attempting to sleep on it.