It took me years of traveling in my car to start appreciating the importance of a car air mattress.
I could sleep virtually anywhere when I was younger, as I didn’t pay much attention to sleep quality, but with age and mounting back problems, I started to prioritize sleep hygiene both at home and on the road.
This involved finding an air mattress for my car so I could continue car camping without waking up tired or in pain. I tested countless mattresses before finding the one that was comfortable, durable, and spacious enough for me, my partner, and our kids.
I used my experience to pick the best air mattresses to use in a car to hopefully help you choose the one that will ensure you can rest properly whenever you’re on the road.
The Best Air Mattresses for Cars
I speak from experience when I say that browsing through hundreds of air mattresses while trying to determine which one is the right fit for your car isn’t fun at all.
I shortlisted the five best air mattresses to make this process less time-consuming and help you decide which product is the ideal match for your vehicle. Here’s a quick overview of my top choices.
- Dsmtousa Backseat Car Air Mattress
- KMZ Air Mattress
- Wey & Fly SUV Air Mattress
- SAYGOGO SUV Air Mattress
- Dsmtousa SUV Air Mattress
1. Dsmtousa Backseat Car Air Mattress
Although I prefer sleeping on firm air mattresses, I understand that some car campers sleep better on plush mattresses.
So, you should consider getting this DSMTOUSA’s mattress if you’re searching for a thick but plush air mattress that will put enough separation between you and the car’s floor. I hate it when a car air mattress deflates under pressure at night.
You’ll have no such problems with this mattress because its leak-proof inflation valve prevents air leakage for 48 hours, even when you exceed the mattress’s weight limit.
In addition, the mattress has an anti-collision headguard that protects you from banging your head against the car seats.
You don’t necessarily have to inflate this air mattress to its full capacity, as its design enables it to adjust to the vehicle’s space limitations. It features a one-piece footstool that improves its stability and prevents shaking when you’re turning in your sleep.
The DSMTOUSA backseat car air mattress offers enough space for one or two sleepers and can withstand over 600 lbs. of pressure.
Inflating or deflating takes less than two minutes, so you can quickly pack the mattress and be back on the road in no time. When folded, this mattress doesn’t occupy a lot of space, which makes it a perfect companion for long car trips.
|Item Weight||6.54 pounds|
|Product Dimensions||53"L x 31"W x 8"Th|
- Skin-friendly flocking – The soft fabric protects your skin and makes maintenance easy.
- Waterproof PVC construction – The air mattress won’t soak even when you sleep on the ground.
- It comes with useful accessories – You’ll get an inflatable pillow, an air pump, and a gift storage tote with this air mattress.
- The mattress stays inflated for 48 hours – The fabric and the air-tight valve prevent air leaks.
- The mattress isn’t double-sided – You can only sleep on one side of the mattress.
- It’s not ideal for tall car campers – This mattress is only 53 inches long.
2. KMZ Air Mattress
Whether you’re going car camping, RVing, or need an inflatable mat to rest on during a hike, this KMZ model is one of your best options. I believe this extra plush air mattress is worth every penny because it’s cozy, durable, and portable.
It has a thickened flooring that makes it stable and prevents it from collapsing under pressure. In addition, the air-tight inflation valve ensures that the mattress retains its structure for 48 hours, which makes it ideal for weekend trips to the countryside.
One of the things I like the most about this air mattress is how easy it is to set up. It comes with an electric inflator and three nozzles, so it only took me a couple of minutes to set up my bunk station for the night.
Cleaning the mattress takes almost zero effort, but don’t forget that it’s only hand-washable, so you can’t throw it into a washing machine whenever it gets dirty.
Besides a foldable air mattress, the package includes two inflatable pillows, an air pump, a repair patch, and a storage bag.
|Color||Beige & Coffee|
|Size||76.77''L x 49.61''W x 5.51''D, 7.09''(Head)|
|Item Weight||7 pounds|
|Product Dimensions||76.77"L x 49.61"W x 5.51"Th|
- A reasonable price – KMZ’s air mattress is a budget-friendly solution for car campers.
- The mattress is water-resistant – Moderate mildew exposure or accidental water spills won’t damage the mattress.
- No air leaks – The three-layer inflation valve prevents air leaks and ensures stability for up to 48 hours.
- Extra plush firmness rating – This can be a factor for people who like sleeping on firm mattresses.
- It doesn’t fit in all cars – Even though the air mattress fits in a wide range of Subaru, Tesla, Jeep, and other car brand models, you still must check if you have enough space to fit it in your car.
3. Wey&Fly SUV Air Mattress
Whether you like traveling alone or with your partner, the Wey&Fly SUV air mattress will keep you comfortable during car camping nights.
The mattress has a concealed dividing line and four air chambers, so you can inflate it to its full capacity or up to 60% of its capacity for the nights when you sleep alone.
Its double-sided flocking eliminates the need for bed sheets, while its breathable double-sided polymer surface makes it suitable for hot sleepers.
Wey&Fly’s SUV mattress comes with an electric car pump that makes inflating and deflating it a breeze. Its surface is pressure-resistant, so you won’t sink into the mattress while you sleep.
The mattress is blue and beige, and you can sleep on both sides. It’s made of 58P PVC material, and it’s completely odorless.
Wear and Tear Resistance
I used this mattress for years before it showed the first signs of deterioration. High-quality, dense materials resist accidental scratches, but despite this, the mattress isn’t puncture-resistant.
|Color||Blue and Beige|
|Item Weight||8 pounds|
|Special Feature||Easy to Install|
|Product Dimensions||76"L x 51.1"W x 3.9"Th|
- Lightweight and easily portable – It doesn’t occupy much space in your trunk.
- Suitable for indoor and outdoor use – You can use it to sleep in a tent, truck, or car.
- Effortless setup – The DC 12V pump connects to the vehicle’s cigarette lighter socket.
- Allows for 40%, 60%, and 100% usage – The mattress adapts to your current needs due to the 4-air chamber internal structure.
- It lacks sleeping accessories – You must purchase the pillows separately.
- The mattress isn’t waterproof – Cleaning it after you spill tea or coffee over it can be difficult.
4. SAYGOGO SUV Air Mattress
I liked the SAYGOGO SUV Air Mattress’s versatility the first time I tested it, as I could easily fit it on my car’s backseat or enjoy its full spread in the trunk.
Moreover, the air mattress has an adjustable head protector that lets you choose your sleeping position and ensures you won’t hit your head while sleeping.
I also like how spacious the SAYGOGO’s mattress is because it provides enough room for three people to sleep comfortably. Still, you must be careful when using sharp objects around this air mattress since it isn’t puncture-resistant.
The mattress’s six-air chamber structure provides incredible stability and enables it to withstand over 300 lbs. of pressure. It is made of durable PVC material, and its flocking surface is soft.
You’ll love sleeping on this mattress if you’re suffering from nagging back issues like me because its surface is firm and prevents your lower back from collapsing. What’s more, you’ll get a pair of cozy inflatable pillows with this air mattress.
Despite not having a website and producing air mattresses in China, SAYGOGO is a reputable brand that offers quality products.
|Item Weight||7.04 pounds|
|Special Feature||Foldable, Thickened Material: 0.4mm PVC|
|Product Dimensions||69"L x 51"W x 6"Th|
- Cozy surface – You don’t have to carry bed sheets because its flocking surface is soft and allergen-free.
- Stable structure – It doesn’t collapse under pressure or shake extensively when you move.
- You can partially inflate the mattress – You don’t have to inflate all six air chambers to sleep on this mattress.
- Low upkeep requirements – All it takes to keep the air mattress clean is to wipe it with a wet towel.
- It’s only suitable for sedans and SUVs – This SUV mattress is too big for regular-sized cars.
- It takes some time for the odor to go away – Leave the mattress out in the open for a while to get rid of the unpleasant smell.
5. Dsmtousa SUV Air Mattress
Even though it is labeled as an SUV air mattress, this DSMTOUSA’s product is suitable for vehicles of all sizes. Moreover, the air mattress is adjustable, and you can fit it on your car’s backseat or fold the backseats and set it up in the trunk area.
The mattress is double-sided and 8 inches thick, so it offers plenty of separation from the floor. Its thickness makes it suitable for picnics, yoga sessions, and other outdoor situations.
When no longer in use, the mattress folds and fits into a compact carry bag that requires minimum storage space.
The unique gas column design ensures the mattress remains air-tight for 48 hours. In addition, its flocking surface is waterproof, so you won’t have much difficulty using it in humid conditions.
The breathable flocking on both sides can withstand moderate wear and tear, but it’s not immune to physical damage.
The air mattress’s firmness level is plush. Its high rebound wavy pattern prevents you from sinking into the mattress and, at the same time, delivers a high level of comfort.
|Item Weight||5.5 pounds|
|Product Dimensions||53"L x 31"W x 8"Th|
- This mattress is waterproof – Exposure to moderate humidity levels cannot damage the mattress.
- Suitable for all weather conditions – You can use the DSMTOUSA’s product when temperatures drop below 30F or rise over 90F.
- Easy to follow instructions – An instruction booklet contains clear guidelines on how to inflate or deflate the mattress.
- Even support for the entire body – Its air column structure prevents you from putting too much stress on different parts of the body while you sleep.
- The air mattress might be too small to stretch out comfortably – How comfortable you’ll be sleeping on this air mattress depends on your height.
- Finding warranty information can be tricky – You must contact the product seller to get more information about warranty details.
How I Selected the Best Air Mattresses for Cars?
I primarily relied on my vast experience with air mattresses for cars to select the models for this article. I also had a broad range of parameters that enabled me to narrow down my selection. Let’s go through some of the criteria I used to pick the best car air mattresses.
None of the models in the final selection are designed exclusively for car camping, as you can use them to do yoga or play with your children in your living room or as sleeping bag support while you’re on a hiking trail.
Inflating an air mattress can be a nightmare if you don’t have an air pump and nozzles compatible with its air valve. Each model I listed here comes with all the equipment you need to inflate or deflate the mattress, as well as pillows and other accessories.
My goal was to find air mattresses for cars that offer excellent value for their price, so I excluded all models that aren’t budget-friendly.
Design and Structure
I know how important it is to feel comfortable during the night you spend in your car, which is why I paid extra attention to the mattress’s structure and design during the selection process.
Ease of Use
You won’t need more than a few minutes to set up or fold any of the mattresses I included in this article. Moreover, all models are easy to clean.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Long Do Air Mattresses for Cars Last?
Car air mattresses can last five years or more, but their lifespan depends on how often you use them and various other factors.
Are Air Valves on Air Mattresses for Cars Replicable?
You must get a new air mattress if the air valve starts leaking because this part isn’t replaceable.
Can I Wash an Air Mattress for a Car in a Washing Machine?
Most models aren’t machine washable, and you can only wipe them with a wet towel.
How to Know if an Air Mattress Can Fit in My Car?
Measure the area where you plan to use the air mattress and then use the dimensions to determine the right air mattress size for your vehicle.
Can I Use Air Mattresses for Cars in Cold Weather?
Low temperatures affect car air mattresses, but most models won’t deflate if the outdoor temperature is above 25F.
There’s no reason to compromise the quality of your sleep if you like to take long trips in your car because air mattresses for cars can help you stay comfortable during the nights you spend on the road.
Take a look at our guide to the best air mattresses for camping with dogs if you’re planning to take your best animal friend with you on your next road trip.