If you want to upgrade your sleeping experience and comfort levels during the night, but an entirely new mattress is out of the question, how about adding a gel mattress topper to your current bed?
Mattress toppers add extra comfort and increase your old mattress’s lifespan.
There are many benefits to a gel mattress topper, including body temperature regulation and support.
Our Top Recommendation for Gel Mattress Topper
- Bamboo Fiber Cover
- Certificated OEKO-TEX
- Suitable temperature(78℉)
- 365-night 100% satisfaction guarantee
- 10-Year Warranty
The question is, which are the best gel mattress toppers in 2023 with such a crowded industry?
I thought it would be a good idea to put some of the best-rated mattresses to the test and comprise a list of the ones that came up top.
Best Gel Mattress Topper – My Reviews
So, when you purchase your new gel mattress topper, you can compare all the best picks in one place.
I have tried and tested each of these mattresses and compared my experience to that of other reputable buyers to give you an honest opinion of how each one performs in terms of comfort, cooling qualities, and design.
Keep reading to find all the information you need, including the price, specs, and features of some of the best gel mattress toppers on sale in 2023, on your way to a better quality sleep in no time.
- BedLuxury 3 Inch Cooling Twin Size Gel Mattress Topper
- Amazon Basics Cooling Gel-Infused Firm Support Mattress Topper
- Linenspa 3-Inch Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- 2-Inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- Subrtex 3-Inch Gel-Infused Memory Foam Mattress Topper High-Density Cooling Pad
- ERLECARE 3-Inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper
1. BedLuxury 3 Inch Cooling Twin Size Gel Mattress Topper – Best for Back Pain
If you’re someone like me who suffers from lower back pain, then the BedLuxury cooling gel mattress topper might be one you should be looking into first.
I found that this mattress helped significantly with my back problems. After using it for a couple of nights, I had no pain while lying in bed.
I tested for the following key factors while trying out this mattress topper.
One of the things I found the most pleasing with this specific mattress is that the removable bamboo fitted cover can move around a lot during the night, but this held extremely well and stayed in place all night. It was also easy to remove for cleaning purposes.
The BedLuxury mattress topper is CertiPUR-US and OEKO-TEX. You can trust the company and know that it’s been made using high-quality materials.
3. Customer Service
I found the customer service for this brand extraordinarily responsive and helpful. They also offer a 365-day money-back guarantee, which means you can try out your mattress for an entire year before.
4. Comfort Value
Of course, the main thing to look for with any mattress or topper that you’ll be sleeping on is the comfort value. Aside from assisting with my back problems, I found this mattress topper extremely comfortable and noticed a significant improvement in my sleep quality from night one.
|Twin（39 x 75 inch）
|Cooling, Adjustable, Breathable
- Removable Bamboo Cover – The cover that comes with this gel mattress topper is very high quality, fits well, and is easy to wash.
- Anti-Slip Design – The anti-slip design of the mattress and cover means it remains in place while you sleep.
- Zipper Closure – The topper cover is easy to put on with a convenient, sturdy zip fastening.
- Comfortable – Comfort levels that significantly improve sleep posture and quality.
- Cost – The price of this mattress is on the higher end of the scale, which might be too steep for people on a budget.
- Odor – I noticed a funky smell with this mattress topper upon opening. However, after airing for 48 hours, this disappeared.
- Not Water Resistant – This mattress doesn’t have waterproof properties.
2. Amazon Basics Cooling Gel-Infused Firm Support Mattress Topper – Best for Latex Allergies
The Amazon Basics Cooling Gel Mattress is an American-made product with temperature-regulating properties, which drove me to test this one in the first place.
As an extremely hot sleeper, I always look for materials and products that promise a cooling night’s sleep whenever I purchase anything bed-related. However, not all lived up to the promise, so I had to return many products.
Here’s what I looked at.
If you don’t like a firm mattress, look at other options, as this was a little firm for me. However, the fact that it’s made from gel memory foam means it conforms to your body shape and offers good support. So, it could be something you could adjust to.
2. Cooling Properties
Of course, the main factor I was testing this gel mattress topper for was the promised cooling aspects, of which I had low hopes. However, I was pleasantly surprised and found this topper kept me at an ample temperature throughout the evening.
The mattress topper appeared to be relatively thin upon first inspection. This made a considerable difference to the feel of my old mattress. I could no longer feel the spring effect underneath and felt much more supported.
- Ultra cooling – The cooling properties of the mattress worked well
- Great support – I felt supported throughout the entire night.
- USA-made – American-made
from a well-known brand with fast shipping and excellent customer service
- Well packaged – The product arrived well packaged, with recyclable packaging.
- Firmness – Some people may
find it too firm for their needs or liking.
- Odor – It took 72 hours for
the smell to be eradicated.
3. Linenspa 3-Inch Memory Foam Mattress Topper – Best for Personalized Comfort
I would say this one came up top when looking at mattresses purely for the comfort element and nothing else.
The Linenspa memory foam mattress comes in several sizes, so whether you have a single, Queen size, or a California King, you can find the ideal size. Although a firm mattress is often better for my personal needs, I enjoy the plush feel this mattress topper provides, giving me an excellent night’s sleep.
Here’s what I judged this mattress on precisely.
Overall I find this mattress comfortable, easy to fit, and well-made. It gave life to my old mattress and remarkably influenced my comfort level.
Unless you need an extra firm mattress for medical reasons, this plush mattress topper provides the same support despite feeling much softer and more quilted than others. Despite having many back problems during the night, I felt assured that I would be cushioned in a supportive position while I slept.
3. Cooling Agents
The cooling properties of this gel-infused mattress had a good effect. Perhaps not quite as noticeable as the previous mattress topper I discussed regarding temperature, but it differed from my usual sleeping problems regarding overheating.
- Cooling – I was impressed by the mattress toppers cooling
properties and felt it regulated my body temperature sufficiently.
- Easy to Fit – The mattress was
easy to unpack and fit the bed, with no assembly required.
- Various Sizes Available – The mattress topper comes in a wide range of sizes, from small single to California King.
- Non-Water Resistant – The mattress topper is not waterproof and could be difficult to clean if exposed to dampness.
4. 2-Inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper – Best for Improved Sleeping Position
The 2-inch memory foam mattress topper is one of the lower-cost products that I tried during the testing period for the best mattress toppers of the year, which might make it more appealing to most.
However, despite the meager price, I thought the quality matched some of the pricier options and positively impacted my sleeping position.
Here’s what I was on the hunt for with this mattress topper.
This mattress is ideal for upgrading an old or slightly worn mattress. It sufficiently removes any feelings of spring and can soften a firm mattress while remaining supportive. It’s easy to fit and stays in one spot while you sleep.
The breathable design of this mattress topper eradicates night sweats. It promotes circulation while you sleep, making for a cooler, more comfortable night’s sleep.
3. Pressure Relieving
The memory foam topper conforms to your body shape, which helps support your sleeping position and align your spine to support you in the correct posture while you sleep. It helps relieve pressure on your hips, neck, and shoulder joints.
The big selling point for me, and why I recommend this mattress topper to most, is the affordable price. It’s the ideal way to extend the life of your current mattress without the hefty price tag of replacing the entire thing.
- Pressure Relieving – The
mattress offers support and significantly improves body posture while you sleep.
- Comfort – The plush feel and quilted memory foam material
offer a “sleeping on a cloud” feeling.
- Affordable – This is the best value-for-money gel mattress topper we’ve come across.
- Durability – Although I didn’t
notice any wear and tear during the testing period, I would question
its durability due to the low cost, lightweight, and lack of density
5. Subrtex 3-Inch Gel-Infused Memory Foam Mattress Topper High-Density Cooling Pad – Best for a Cooling Night’s Sleep
The Subrtex gel-infused mattress was another product that hit the nail on the head to meet its promise of a cooling night’s sleep.
I also discovered that it did a lot to support me while I slept and helped to alleviate any joint pain that seemed to have snuck in over the last couple of years.
It’s what I was looking for.
Overall the mattress was easy to fit and stayed well on the bed while I slept. However, I did remove the cover that came with it and used one of my sheets instead, as I found that the cover slid around and bunched up during the night. It didn’t affect the general use of the topper, but it could be an annoyance for some.
The comfort I experienced while trying out this mattress was impressive. It was the most comfortable of the six gel mattress toppers I tried and tested for this guide.
The mattress topper is certified by CertiPUR US and OEKO-TEX, which gives you peace of mind that you’re investing in a reputable product.
I was drawn to this product because it came with a bamboo cover. However, this turned out to be defective for the topper in question. However, the gel-infused memory foam was still cooling when covered with a standard fitted cotton sheet.
|Bamboo Rayon Cover
|Cooling, Adjustable, Washable
- Comfortable – The mattress
topper was impressive when adding an extra comfort layer to an older mattress.
- Breathable – The ventilation
design of the topper allowed for air circulation, which made for a regulated body temperature throughout the night.
- Certified Reputable Brand – The fact that this mattress topper is certified and comes from a well-known manufacturer means you can rest assured you’re receiving
a high-quality product and great customer service.
- Defective Cover – I was disappointed that the bamboo cover accompanying
this mattress topper didn’t fit well and moved during the night. However, by removing this, the use of the
topper was not affected in any way.
6. ERLECARE 3-Inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper – Best for Transportation
You can enjoy a comfortable night’s sleep no matter where you are with the Erlecare gel memory foam mattress topper. This mattress topper rolls up and packs away, and with its lightweight design, it can be used for camping or sleeping on the couch.
Here’s what I was looking at.
The mattress was packed well and easy to unfold and put into place. After leaving it to air and expanding over a few days, it fitted onto my bed well and seemed secure and comfortable.
The mattress topper is incredibly easy to pack away, whether for storage, taking on holiday, or temporary accommodation. It’s also lightweight, which makes it easy to carry easily.
3. Pressure Relief
Suppose you have muscle, joint, or back pain. In that case, this mattress topper can help to improve painful symptoms and swelling by relieving pressure points and keeping the spine and neck stable throughout the night while remaining soft and comfortable.
|Cooling, Adjustable, Washable, Breathable
- Lightweight – The mattress is lightweight, packable, and transportable, making it the ideal mattress topper for someone who needs consistency in their sleep environment and comfort no matter where they are. It’s even suitable for use in an RV.
- Machine Washable – Unlike
some mattresses toppers that need to
be disinfected by hand, this can be
put into the washing machine easily.
- Skin-Friendly Cover – The molecular material of the gel memory foam mattress topper is skin-friendly.
- Warranty – The mattress topper
has a 10-year warranty for peace of mind.
- Density – Some may find this mattress topper soft, off-putting
to those who prefer a firmer sleep surface.
How We Picked And Tested The Best Gel Mattress Toppers of 2023?
When testing these mattress toppers, I needed to give them all the same thorough inspection and time to adjust.
Therefore, I ensured each one was tested using the following factors.
Now, of course, I could not put these mattress toppers to the test for months or years on end, so questioning the durability of each one had to be done by inspecting the quality. I tried each mattress for three weeks to get a good idea of its performance in the long run.
Price is always a key factor when shopping for any product, especially one you plan on using for years. Every mattress topper I reviewed was worth the money. Even the cheapest items were of high quality enough and lasted long enough.
The primary element I was looking for in trying out these mattress toppers was their comfort level. It would be no use recommending one that wasn’t right. All the mattress toppers in this guide had exceptional coziness, whether firm or plush, and offered an incredible night’s sleep.
Frequently Asked Questions
Let’s take a look at some common queries surrounding gel mattress toppers.
How Do I Know What Size Gel Mattress Topper to Buy?
The size of the gel mattress topper you need depends on the dimensions of your mattress. If you’re unsure of the size of your bed, you can measure it and match this to the measurements made in the specific product details.
What is a Gel Mattress Topper?
A gel mattress topper is a memory topper that will support your current mattress. It can extend the longevity of your mattress and add more comfort.
How Long Does it Take for a Gel Mattress Topper to Expand?
It depends on your mattress topper’s brand, design, and density. Let your topper expand for between 24 and 72 hours, generally speaking.
Investing in a gel mattress topper is an excellent way to extend the lifespan of your current mattress. It can also save you a lot of money.
If you’re a hot sleeper, want to improve your general sleep quality, or want to stop those pesky springs from causing mischief when you sleep, a gel mattress topper could be the answer you’ve been searching for.