Not getting the right amount of sleep can be detrimental to our health. However, getting those 7-9 hours of sleep per night isn’t always as easy as it sounds.
Our sleeping position and mattress play a great part in how well we sleep, so finding the correct mattresses and toppers for your posture is important.
But how do you know what’s right for you? And how can you tell the good quality ones from the ones that will leave you waking up multiple times a night in discomfort?
Mattress toppers are designed to lie on top of your current mattress, vamping up your old bed and saving you the hassle of replacing the entire thing. However, different ones offer different benefits, and the ones we’re looking at today have been tested by yours truly, to see how well they work for side sleepers.
Our Top Recommendation for Mattress Toppers For Side Sleepers!
- Personalized Comfort
- Perfectly Paired
- Mattress Makeover
- Easy Setup
Best Mattress Topper for Side Sleepers
So, if you’re a side sleeper like myself and in the market for a new mattress topper but don’t know where to start. Look no further.
I have been trawling the market and rigorously trying and testing some of the most popular mattress toppers recommended for side sleepers to see how they stand up to the reviews.
I’ve checked out toppers made from various materials, ranging from different prices, and that offer numerous benefits, so with any luck, by the end of today, you’ll be well on your way to a more restful night’s sleep. You can wave goodbye to painful pressure points and bad backs.
Here are my top picks:
- Linenspa Gel Infused Mattress Topper
- LUCID – Mattress Topper with Ventilated Design
- ViscoSoft High-Density Memory Foam Mattress
- Layla Memory Foam Topper
- GhostBed Cooling Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper
1. Linenspa Gel Infused Mattress Topper
A good-quality mattress topper is a perfect solution to vamping up an old mattress, and this one did not disappoint me. If I hadn’t put this on the bed, I probably believed someone had planted a new mattress in my room. No kidding.
This mattress topper totally transformed my sleep on many levels. It was like sleeping on a cloud. I suffer from sciatica, so sometimes sleeping on my side can cause discomfort at night. But with this, I remained in one position all night and felt well-supported.
The mattress topper arrived well-packaged in a condensed, vacuum-packed bundle that was super easy to unpack and unroll into the desired position for expansion. The expansion took around two days to reach full size.
The pad is certified by CertiPUR-US, so you can rest assured you’re receiving a thoroughly tested product.
For someone who’s typically a hot sleeper, I appreciated the cooling gel layer within this topper. While it didn’t make me feel cool, it certainly prevented me from overheating, which is usually a big problem causing me many sleep disturbances.
|Fabric Type||Memory Foam,polyurethane|
|Closure Type||Pull On|
|Item Weight||16.32 pounds|
- Delivery – Despite being quite a heavy bundle, the mattress topper was easy to maneuver, thanks to being well-packaged.
- Gel Beads – The gel infusion massively impacted my usual habit of overheating during the night.
- Reputable Brand – I’ve always found Linenspa to be a fabulous brand that offers outstanding products and customer service.
- Stock – I struggled to get my hands on this for a while. Due to high demand, it is often sold out.
2. LUCID – Mattress Topper with Ventilated Design
When I was trying out this mattress, I had a sciatica flare-up. I experienced a lot of pain in my lower back, especially at night. I was delighted to feel instant relief climbing into bed after applying this topper. But I doubted whether this feeling would last after a full night’s sleep.
My favorite thing about this mattress topper was the lavender infusion. Though I don’t know how long the smell would last or how it impacted my sleep, it was certainly a pleasant feature.
This mattress topper was easy to unpack, easy to move around, and even easier to place onto the bed. I had no difficulties at all in fitting it by myself. I think the lightweight contributed to this.
The mattress is well-ventilated, making it breathable and cooling, adding to its overall comfort.
The company offers a three-year guarantee with this topper, which gives you peace of mind that you’re investing in a quality product.
|Fabric Type||Memory Foam|
|Special Feature||Lavender Infused|
|Item Weight||11 pounds|
- Lightweight – This topper weighs just 11 lbs so was easy to unpack and place on the bed without assistance.
- Lavender Scent – This was a pro for me, and I loved the scented feature of the topper, though I can’t comment on how long this would last.
- Not Water Resistant – If you need a topper for a child’s bedroom or need it to be water resistant, you will need to purchase an additional cover for this topper.
- Price – This might not be within everyone’s price range when shopping for mattress toppers.
3. ViscoSoft High-Density Memory Foam Mattress Pad
As I mentioned earlier, it’s never worth spending your money on sub-par products that aren’t going to see you through to the end of the year. You’ll end up paying more in the long run, and it’s just more hassle to dispose of your old one and shop for another.
So, if you’re in this frame of mind and want a product that guarantees longevity, then the ViscoSoft high-density mattress pad might be the one for you.
The high-quality materials used to make this topper tell me you’ll have many years of great sleep on it. Of course, I was only testing this topper for several days. But other people’s reviews have confirmed that it’s well worth the money regarding durability.
The mattress pad has a zippered removable cover that is easy to remove and wash any spillages, bed wetting, or general cleaning and maintenance.
The mattress pad is certified by CentiPUR-US, which means it’s gone through rigorous testing to ensure longevity.
I was pretty impressed with this company’s attention to detail and customer service. After the sale, they even kept in touch to get my feelings on the topper, and the returns process was very straightforward. They also offer a generous guarantee.
|Fabric Type||Memory Foam|
|Item Weight||23.1 pounds|
- Removable Cover – The pad’s easily removable cover is suitable for all ages, including children’s rooms where bed wetting and regular spillages might occur.
- Size – Multiple size options were available, including different-sized beds and a choice of thickness.
- Density – The density of this mattress topper means that pain from pressure points is relieved, and more support is offered.
- Odor – As with many memory foam products, the product has a slightly unpleasant odor, affecting some people more than others. For me, the smell was gone after a few days.
4. Layla Memory Foam Topper
The Layla Memory Foam mattress topper was wonderfully cozy, providing me with an amazing night’s sleep that left me feeling refreshed and rejuvenated each morning.
Before I purchased this, I had read about the cooling infusion of copper gel beads, which promised to draw heat away from the body, resulting in a cool night’s sleep. As a hot sleeper, I was excited to put this to the test.
I didn’t hold out too much hope, as I’d been promised this many times before. However, in their defense, I didn’t once wake up feeling too hot or with night sweats. While I couldn’t see myself in an air-conditioned cocoon, it definitely regulated my body temperature while I slept.
Despite being on the heavy side, the mattress was easy to put onto the bed. However, users with mobility issues should be aware that this is quite a heavy topper, and the cover will need fitting as it comes packaged separately.
I was surprised by this aspect of the topper because when I first climbed into it, I was swallowed by plush sumptuousness. However, the support I got from it was miraculous. I had no back pain, felt secure in my sleep position, and woke up feeling brisk.
The company was very understanding when it came to returning this mattress, making the whole process a total breeze. There were no questions asked, and it was hassle-free.
|Fabric Type||66% Polyester, 30% Viscose, 4% Poly/Lycra|
|Item Weight||29 pounds|
- Machine Washable – Although it’s advised to spot-clean this topper on a cool wash, it can be placed in the washing machine for convenience.
- Expansion – This didn’t take as long to expand as others I’ve tried of a similar size and density.
- Heavy – For anyone struggling with mobility, I recommend getting a second pair of hands when installing; this is a pretty hefty topper.
5. GhostBed Cooling Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper
Some people don’t enjoy the features of memory foam, such as the sinking and contouring, and the fact they can also make you feel quite hot. Suppose you fall into this category of people. In that case, I urge you to try the GhostBed Cooling Mattress Topper because it’ll be like no memory foam you’ve ever slept on.
The expanding time was fast with this, less than 24 hours, and that infamous memory foam smell was gone the next day.
The expansion time meant I could put this on the bed quickly, and secure straps held it in place all night.
The innovative design of this topper offers all of the benefits of memory without the prominent features such as sinking in and overheating.
I have a particularly thick mattress and often find that straps on mattress toppers don’t hook around enough. These were perfect and remained secure all night.
|Fabric Type||Memory Foam|
|Item Weight||28.5 pounds|
- Waterproof – This is a water-resistant mattress pad, so ideal if you’re using it in the children’s bedroom or anywhere prone to spillages.
- Certified – The product promises to be durable, though I couldn’t vouch for this in my personal experience. However, it is certified by CertiPUR-US.
- Cover – One problem I faced was that the cover was made from a viscose-type material, which didn’t work well with my cotton sheets. I found my bedclothes slid around.
- Price – This was one of the pricier mattress toppers I tested and might be out of reach for some people.
How I Selected The Best Mattress Toppers for Side Sleepers?
When testing mattress toppers, there’s much more to it than just climbing into bed and seeing how comfortable it is. Multiple factors can contribute to what makes the perfect mattress topper.
So, here’s what I was looking for specifically.
If you’re trying to save yourself money by increasing the lifespan of your mattress without the hefty cost of replacing it, then it would be counter-productive if your mattress topper needed renewing 12 months down the line. It’s why I have picked out mattress toppers made using high-quality materials likely to provide many years of use.
You’ll notice many mattress toppers I reviewed are made from memory foam. There’s a good reason for this, and it’s down to the materials’ beneficial feature of body contouring, which is vital for side sleepers to help reduce pressure point discomfort.
Price is a practical consideration to look at when purchasing any product. But when it comes to your sleep quality, it’s important not to compromise regarding standards. After all, a low-quality mattress could quickly hinder your sleep, having a knock-on effect on your general health.
The thickness of a mattress topper plays a significant role in supporting side sleepers. Generally speaking, I’d recommend a mattress topper between 2 and 3 inches for sufficient cushioning of your pressure points.
Frequently Asked Questions
Let’s explore a selection of commonly asked questions by fellow side sleepers concerning mattress toppers.
Can I use a Mattress Topper with Any Mattress?
Yes. Mattress toppers are usually compatible with a wide range of commonly bought mattresses, including inner-spring, latex, memory foam, and hybrid.
How do I clean my Mattress Topper?
It depends on the specific mattress topper. While some can be put directly into the washing machine, some have removable covers, and others are spot clean only.
How can a Mattress Topper help side sleepers?
A mattress topper can provide additional cushioning and support, helping to alleviate pressure points and promote proper spinal alignment for side sleepers.
When choosing the best mattress topper for side sleepers, it’s important to remember that side sleepers often experience pressure points in the hips and shoulders.
As such, toppers that provide adequate pressure relief are essential. Memory foam and latex toppers are often recommended due to their ability to contour the body and provide targeted support.
Additionally, toppers that are soft enough to cushion the hips and shoulders but firm enough to support the spine can help to ensure proper alignment and prevent discomfort.
Ultimately, the best mattress topper for you will depend on individual preferences and needs, so it’s important to research and choose a topper that meets your specific requirements.