You spend approximately one-third of your life asleep, so choosing the right mattress is important. Plus, shelling out on a new mattress is a big investment, and nobody wants to spend their hard-earned money on something that isn’t quite right.
When you buy a mattress at Costco, you have several return options. So, if you decide you don’t like it, don’t panic. Read our guide, follow the suggested steps, and you’ll be well on your way to a better night’s sleep.
Can I Buy a Mattress at Costco?
Absolutely! Costco sells much more than just wholesale food products. They have an extensive range of mattresses to choose from. The membership-based warehouse store carries numerous mattress brands, including Tempur-Pedic, Sealy, NovaForm, Casper, GhostBed, Sleep Science, Molecule, and BeaturRest. Plus, they’re often considerably cheaper than the regular retail prices elsewhere.
Can You Return a Costco Mattress?
In a nutshell, yes, you can. Costco offers its customers a 100% risk-free returns policy on most items. And unlike many other big box stores, this policy applies to their mattresses too.
So, if you’re unhappy with your original purchase, you can return it anytime. It includes mattresses purchased in person at Costco Warehouse stores or online at Costco.com.
Costco lists the following reasons a mattress can be eligible for a refund or return:
- You’re dissatisfied with the mattress.
- You purchased it by mistake.
- The mattress is defective or damaged.
- You received the wrong mattress.
- You received duplicate mattresses.
- You refused upon delivery due to damage to the mattress or its packaging.
- An item or accessory is missing (replacement only).
- The shipment is lost.
How Long Do I Have to Return a Mattress to Costco?
Costco offers one of the most generous return policies in the country, and there is no set time limit on how long you have to return your mattress. Instead, the customer service team evaluates each return on a case-by-case basis. Some customers have even returned an unwanted mattress up to two years after the original purchase date!
Does The Mattress Need to be in its Original Packaging?
Most stores require mattresses to be unopened and sealed in their original packaging to be accepted for returns. But Costco will accept opened and even used mattresses with valid reasons.
How Do I Return a Mattress to Costco?
There are two ways to return a mattress to Costco, which you choose. It will depend on your original purchase method.
1. If You Have Purchased Your Mattress In-Store at The Costco Warehouse
- Take your mattress, along with your original receipt, to your nearest Costco Warehouse location.
- Find the returns counter and explain that you would like to return your mattress for a full refund. You may be asked to provide details, such as the reason for the return.
- The assistant will walk you through the returns process and issue you a full refund or a suitable replacement.
2. If You Have Purchased Your Mattress Online at Costco.com
You have two options. You can return your mattress in-store at your local Costco Warehouse by following the steps above or initiate a return through their website.
To Initiate a Return Online, Follow These Steps
- Go to Costco.com, click the sign-in/register tab, and log in to your account.
- Click on “Orders & Returns”
- Scroll down the purchase list and locate the mattress you want to return.
- Select the “Return Items” tab next to the order.
- Costco typically requires customers to arrange packing and shipping themselves. But a pick-up service is available for larger items like mattresses. You need to fill in the relevant details and follow the prompts provided.
Do I Need a Receipt to Return a Mattress at Costco?
All is not lost if you’ve searched high and low and still can’t find your original purchase receipt. While there are some instances where a receipt may be necessary, most stores will process your refund or replacement without one.
How Long Will It Take to Receive My Refund?
According to Costco’s refund policy, customers returning items, including mattresses, directly to a Costco Warehouse store are eligible for an instant refund. That means the money should be in your hand or back in your account as soon as the transaction is complete.
All refunds are processed via the original payment method, so keep the card with which you made the purchase handy when you visit the store. You will receive an immediate full refund if you have paid for the mattress in cash.
Orders which are returned via the Costco.com website may take longer to process. However, they are still covered by Costco’s 100% satisfaction money-back guarantee. You will receive a full refund within five working days, including any shipping and handling fees you may have paid.
What Happens to My Returned Costco Mattress?
Unopened, unused mattresses returned to the store in their original packaging will be tested, checked, and resold.
Damaged, dirty, or defective mattresses that aren’t in a condition for resale or reuse will be disposed of. But of course, mattresses that have been used cannot be resold by Costco. Instead, in states where it is permitted, Costco may sell or donate gently used mattresses to a used mattress retailer, thrift store, or local community projects.
Do I Need a Costco Card to Return a Mattress?
Generally speaking, yes. However, if you purchased the mattress using your Costco card and can’t find it now, don’t panic. The store assistant should be able to find your membership details by providing them with your name, address, and date of birth.
If you purchased the mattress using a friend’s or family member’s Costco card, you should have their card with you when you request the return.
Costco has the most generous and risk-free returns policies. You can return your mattress for many reasons, including simply changing your mind. So, if you’re in the market for a new mattress, purchasing through a vendor like Costco means you don’t have to worry about choosing the wrong one. You can simply return it to the store, arrange an online pick-up, and receive a full refund or replacement immediately.